Exmouth Estate Residents Encouraged to Take Part in Regeneration Plans
Swan Housing Association is inviting residents on the Exmouth Estate in Stepney, East London to share their views on its proposed redevelopment plans in a series of online consultation sessions from 2 - 4 February 2021.
The consultation is taking place before a Planning Application for the scheme is submitted to the London Borough of Tower Hamlets in the coming months.
The Housing Association is in the process of creating a detailed proposal to redevelop the area of the estate around Commercial Road and Brayford Square to create 230, 100 per cent affordable new high-quality homes alongside community facilities, such as new shops and green spaces, while also making environmental improvements.
The detailed plans propose:
- A new Wellness Centre which includes a Multi-Use Games Area (MUGA), Community Centre, Carers Centre and Pharmacy, to provide accessible, quality services for all residents.
- Improved outdoor spaces with seating and planting for residents of all ages to enjoy together as a community.
- A new Cultural Centre that would build on the area’s strong cultural and artistic history by providing affordable space for charitable organisations.
- Family play spaces that would help children to have healthy and happy childhoods.
- Retail and commercial spaces for social enterprises and local businesses to operate from, creating local jobs and helping the economy.
To make sure that this plan best meets the needs of the community, Swan has working in close consultation with residents for over 16 months, including working alongside the Exmouth Residents’ Steering Group (ERSG) - a team of local residents who have been inputting to the design process.
Its third Public Consultation event - which will take place online from 2-4 February due to current Coronavirus restrictions on social gatherings - will gather residents’ feedback on detailed plans for the redevelopment. Swan strongly encourages everyone to take the opportunity to get involved.
Three live consultation sessions with the project team, including Levitt Bernstein, the architects on the project, will take place on Tuesday 2 February at 12.30pm, Wednesday 3 February at 6pm (Bengali language session) and Thursday 4 February at 6pm. There will be an opportunity for residents to submit and have their questions answered live by the architects and the project team.
All residents will receive a written booklet with details on the proposals prior to these virtual events and they can also learn more about the project on its website at exmouthresidents.co.uk
Following this public consultation, Swan plans to submit a Planning Application to the London Borough of Tower Hamlets, with work due to start in 2022, subject to receiving planning approval for the scheme.